Here is a short list of new high level topics:
- Project codename “Crescent”, a web-based, data visualization and presentation solution, and follow-on to the PowerPivot technology that is part of SQL Server 2008 R2
- Project codename “Apollo”, new column-store database technology aiming to provide greater query performance
- SQL Server AlwaysOn, a new high-availability “solution that will deliver “increased application availability, lower TCO (total cost of ownership) and ease of use
- Project codename “Juneau”, a single development environment for developing database, business intelligence (BI) and web solutions
- SQL Server Data Quality Services (based on technology from Microsoft’s 2008 Zoomix acquisition)
- Other data integration and management tools
My personal favorites are:
- Project codename 'Crescent'. This will help the people in the board room to easily analyze and play with the data they are looking at.
- Project codename 'Apollo'. Performance is one of my specialties in SQL Server. For every new SQL version I look forward to the improvements on performance. This new column-store database technology will indeed improve the performance of your datawarehouse significantly.
If you are interested to look around in the CTP version, you can download it here
Enjoy testing this new version.